vSTARS is an air traffic control radar simulation program for use on the VATSIM network. It is a high-fidelity simulation of the real ATC system used in many approach control facilities in the United States.
vSTARS aims to be a high-fidelity simulation of the real-world STARS system. Technical limitations of the VATSIM infrastructure limit the number of real-world STARS features that can be implemented, but nearly all of the useful features have been included:
* Full-screen mode for enhanced realism.
* On-screen simulation of hardware knobs and switches.
* RDVS (Rapid Deployment Voice Switch) simulation.
* CRDA (Converging Runway Display Aid) simulation, to assist with sequencing arrivals into converging runways.
* MSAW (Minimum Safe Altitude Warning) simulation.
* Conflict detection.
* Full radar coverage volume simulation.
* TPA (Terminal Proximity Alert) graphics, including J-Rings and TPA Cones.
* Video Maps with adjustable brightness and separate map groups.
* Top-down mode for VATSIM controllers covering Approach and Local positions. (Allows aircraft on the ground to be visible.)
* Automatic tracking of departures.
* CA suppression zones to prevent nuisance conflict alerts.
* MSAW suppression zones to prevent nuisance low altitude alerts.