The OpenJPEG library is an open-source JPEG 2000 codec written in C language. It has been developed in order to promote the use of JPEG 2000, the new still-image compression standard from the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG). The main part of the project consists in a JPEG 2000 codec compliant with the Part 1 of the standard (Class-1 Profile-1 compliance).
Besides this main codec, OpenJPEG integrates several other modules:
- JP2 (JPEG 2000 standard Part 2 - Handling of JP2 boxes and extended multiple component transforms for multispectral and hyperspectral imagery)
- MJ2 (JPEG 2000 standard Part 3)
- JPWL (JPEG 2000 standard Part 11)
- JPIP (JPEG 2000 standard Part 9)
- OPJViewer, a GUI viewer for J2K, JP2, JPWL and MJ2 files