Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) development kit lets you develop and deploy Java applications on desktops and servers, as well as today's demanding Embedded and Real-Time environments. This new release includes performance improvements as well as support for Oracle Linux 6, Win 7 SP 1, and IE9. Details of the files and directories:
1) Development Tools: (In the bin/ subdirectory) Tools and utilities that will help you develop, execute, debug, and document programs written in the Java TM programming language. For further information, see the tool documentation.
2) Runtime Environment: (In the jre/ subdirectory) An implementation of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE TM ) for use by the JDK. The JRE includes a Java TM Virtual Machine (JVM TM ), class libraries, and other files that support the execution of programs written in the Java TM programming language.
3) Additional Libraries : (In the lib/ subdirectory) Additional class libraries and support files required by the development tools.
4) Demo Applets and Applications: (In the demo/ subdirectory) Examples, with source code, of programming for the Java TM platform. These include examples that use Swing and other Java TM Foundation Classes, and the Java TM Platform Debugger Architecture.
5) Sample Code: (In the sample subdirectory) Samples, with source code, of programming for certain Java API's.
6) C header Files: (In the include/ subdirectory) Header files that support native-code programming using the Java Native Interface, the JVM TM Tool Interface , and other functionality of the Java TM platform.
7) Source Code: (In src.zip) Java TM programming language source files for all classes that make up the Java core API (that is, sources files for the java.*, javax.* and some org.* packages, but not for com.sun.* packages). This source code is provided for informational purposes only, to help developers learn and use the Java TM programming language. These files do not include platform-specific implementation code and cannot be used to rebuild the class libraries.