GoldWave is a comprehensive application that allows you to edit audio files. In addition, you can use it as a sound player, recorder, analyzer, mixer, and converter. There's an extensive help documentation that covers all the possible use cases; and it is advisable that you take a tour through the explanatory chapters before actually working with GoldWave.
You can perform regular editing tasks, such as split a large file into smaller pieces, trim, crossfade, overwrite, insert silence, change the pitch of an audio sample, as well as delete sound segments. However, the greatest benefit you get out of this tool is the ability to apply a wide range of special effects. This way, you can add echo to increase the resonance, give more depth to a sound with the reverb effect, create unusual sounds with flanger control, and so on. All these effects come with presets; if you don't like any of them, you can make your own adjustments according to your liking.
The selection of effects also includes some other features. For instance, you can remove noise caused by a bad recording, restore audio from vinyls and tapes, remove silent sections, mix two or more recordings using a smooth fade between sources, and so on.
GoldWave can be used to process audio files either individually or in batches, the program provides exhaustive audio editing functions and yields good results.
- Wide array of editing features.
- Supports various audio formats.
- Extensive list of audio effects.
- Provides shortcuts for most controls.
- Speech recognition and text-to-speech functions
- The toolbar has too many icons.
- The text-to-speech conversion function is difficult to use; it doesn't work properly without a right configuration of the TTS software in Windows