This program is suitable for architects, engineers or designers. The program was called DWF Viewer but now its name is Autodesk Design Review. The last version is 2009. It uses high-performance viewing so users can view the latest DWG or DXF files with full fidelity. You can combine rich 2D and 3D design data, some of the tools you can use are real-time 2D pan, zoom and rotate, easy to-scale printing, animations, finite element analyses and map information and it retain design information and scale. It uses a secure file format DWF where you can add comments using callouts, text blocks, shapes, dimensions, stamps, and custom symbols, so you can republish the DWF file for revision. Autodesk Design Review 2009 includes the DWFx format based on the XML Paper Specification (XPS) from Microsoft.
Some parts of the main window of Autodesk Design Review:
- Main toolbar includes the most commonly used set of tools for managing
- View Toolbar includes tools to manipulate how a sheet or model is shown on the canvas (primary viewing and markup area for a sheet or model).
- Workspace Toolbar includes tools for managing the current workspace and showing the canvas full screen.
Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows XP (SP2 recommended), Windows 2000 SP4 , 512 MB RAM, 150 MB free disk space for installation, 1,024 x 768 VGA and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
Differences between Autodesk Design Review 2008 and 2009:
- The version 2008 only supports the DWF format, but the version 2009 has added the DWFx as the default format which is based on the XML Paper Specification (XPS) from Microsoft. With this format the files can be opened and printed using the Microsoft XPS Viewer from Microsoft Windows Vista.
- The version 2008 only permits to rotate images in degree increments counterclockwise or clockwise but the version 2009 enables you to rotate
2D sheets but with some limitations (2D sheets with markups cannot be rotated).
- Another new in the version 2009 is the toolbar "Find Text" where you can locate tabular data, markups, text on 2D sheets, objects, or sheet names. The results are shown in a drop-down list (you can use an asterisk " * " to find unknown characters).
- Another tool added in version 2009 is the plug-in to share DWF files on the Autodesk Project Freewheel Web site.
- Another difference is that version 2008 needs to install a plug-in to print multiple DWF files but in 2009 the problem is solved without the need to download and install any plug-in.
- It is built on the same viewing engine as AutoCAD software, so users can view the latest DWG or DXF files with full fidelity. version 2009 uses DWFx format based on the XML Paper Specification (XPS) from Microsoft.
- When AutoCAD 2007 is installed after Design Review, some system files are overwritten by the AutoCAD installation causing DWF shell extensions to fail. You can Uninstall and reinstall Autodesk Design Review to solve this problem